Monday, December 05, 2011

¡soy madrileña!

Dear Amy/Obadiah/Ames/Amos,


Of course you're next in my blog to be dedicated a letter. Did you really think otherwise? I haven't blogged in a month and I have no idea where to even start with this one. The last time I wrote I went to Milan, and since then I have been a busy bee! I have been much more social this past month and have met new people, had some awkward encounters, explored the city, and traveled to Athens and Paris. What a month!
Some things that I currently love about Madrid is that there are Christmas lights all over the center, it is not super cold during the day, and there are so many places to see and people to hang out with. I think I've laughed more in the past 3 weeks than I have total in the whole semester... yay for sarcastic humor! 


Anyway, while your Thanksgiving day probably involved sleep, family, football, parades and food, mine included going to class and eating meatballs with rice. Super exciting, right? At least I got to partake in a giant dinner a couple days later with a bunch of friends. We had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, green bean casserole, and TONS more food. I wish I had some of that right now. 


Enough about food. Let's talk travel! On Wednesday, November 16 a guy I met in class (Paul) and I randomly decided to buy tickets to Athens to meet another friend there. Two days later we were in Greece! Insane. I absolutely loved every second of it. It was amazing to see ancient Greek ruins and be in a city with so much history. I got to stand on Mars Hill, where the Apostle Paul preached to the Greeks in Acts 17:16-24. I still can't believe it. As for the city of Athens, from the Acropolis it is beautiful and impressive, but once you are walking in it you can see that it is covered in graffiti and grime. There are also stray dogs EVERYWHERE. I wouldn't want to walk around there by myself. We walked through the main part of the city at least 3 times, took loads of pictures, ate Greek food, bought souvenirs, walked around a crowded market type place, sat on the roof of our hostel, and even danced a little bit. Even the plane rides were enjoyable. SwissAir is great because they feed you! (We had a layover in Zurich, Switzerland... I want to go back and go hiking/backpacking there someday. And after that I also want to go to Santorini, Greece). 


Two weeks later I was off to Paris! Our flight was supposed to leave at 8:30 but it didn't leave until after 9:30. Ignacio and I were standing in line to board the plane when they announced that the gate number changed. With this particular airline it is first come, first serve seating so everyone started running like maniacs to the new gate. It was seriously like a stampede. Naturally, both of us ran as well and I could barely breathe because I was laughing the whole time at the ridiculousness of it all. Wish you could have been there to see it. By the time we finally got to Paris it was too late to catch a train so our only option was a 55 euro taxi. Needless to say, I was less than thrilled. We spent the next two days exploring the city/taking pictures. Every single building is beautiful! I can't even imagine how incredible it would be in the Spring. I would live in Paris if I had the chance... at least for a while. I wish I knew French! My favorite part of the city would have to be...... uhh.... I can't pick. I got into the Lourve fo' FREE thanks to my visa, and it is the best museum I've been to, mainly because it was the least boring. :) I saw the Mona Lisa, and she is incredibly small. It definitely didn't change my life, however the Egyptian section was pretty sweet. 


We also walked along the Avenue des Champs-Élysées and shopped, bought sandwiches from  some vendors, saw the Arc de Triomphe, and ate at Quick, a French fast food chain. It was a great trip and I definitely want to go back someday. 
This week I only have 2 days of class, so aside from the fact that I really need to be productive, it's going to be a great week.


Love you so much.
Watch this for old time's sake :)


Your one and only Turra.

1 comment: